Air Fryer Armadillo Eggs are delicious snack or spicy appetizer. These yummy bites are sausage wrapped jalapeno poppers, stuffed with cream cheese filling, and then end with a wrapping of crispy bacon!
1 Air Fryer
- 1 pound pork sausage ground
- 1 pound bacon 12 slices
- 6 medium jalapenos
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Honey BBQ Sauce
Rinse the jalapeno peppers and pat dry, then slice in half. Remove stems, membrane, and seeds, then set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the cheddar and cream cheese. Generously spoon the cream cheese mixture into one of the halves of the jalapeno and then place two halves together.
Divide the pork sausage into six even portions. Flatten a portion of the sausage and fold around a jalapeno, pinch meat to completely seal and cover jalapeno, while shaping into an oval egg shape. Repeat until all jalapenos are covered with sausage.
Wrap each covered jalapeno with two slices of bacon, wrapping each piece of bacon with tight wrap, securing with toothpicks.
Place in the air fryer basket and air fry at 380 for 15-17 minutes until sausage reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F and bacon is crispy. Use a meat thermometer to confirm doneness.
Using a basting brush or spoon, brush egg with barbecue sauce before serving.
- VARIATIONS and TIPS:
- You can use flavored bacon like smoky bacon or Hickory bacon.
- For higher heat level, and spicy peppers, leave some of the membrane.
- There are other types of cheese blend you can add for a creamy cheese mixture. Shredded Monterey jack, mozzarella cheese, pepper jack, or even Mexican blend cheese, will make this a perfect appetizer recipe.
- Dip in hot sauce, or for more flavor, try a Korean BBQ sauce or Raspberry Chipotle Sauce.
- For a larger crowd, double batch recipe!
Calories: 4645kcalCarbohydrates: 138gProtein: 245gFat: 340gSaturated Fat: 128gPolyunsaturated Fat: 47gMonounsaturated Fat: 138gTrans Fat: 2gCholesterol: 947mgSodium: 14179mgPotassium: 4453mgFiber: 5gSugar: 103gVitamin A: 4143IUVitamin C: 105mgCalcium: 705mgIron: 12mg
*Nutritional information is a calculated guesstimate. Please note that this can change with different brands and modifications you may make to the recipe. For the most accurate information, use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands and measurements you’re using with each recipe.